Wednesday, March 3, 2010

That's How I Feel!



Jim Belcher's book Deep Church has recently grown in popularity shown in blogs, awards, and, of course, amazon. I haven't started to read it yet, but I was flipping through the pages last night and stumbled upon the following section. Immediately, after reading these paragraphs I was saying, "Yes, that's exactly how I feel!" I'll let Jim explain:

...The failure of the modern church, I remember them saying, was that it had forgotten the doctrine of creation. the church focused too much on individual salvation, evangelism and Christianity as a private affair. It's not that individual salvation isn't important. It is. But it must be balanced with Jesus' teaching on the kingdom of God. They taught us that the kingdom was a realm encompassing the area of God's creation that was living under God's reign...

...When we become believers we join this reign; our goal is not only to help bring others in God's kingdom but also to help transform culture- the family, politics, the arts, the marketplace, all aspects of creation. For a twenty-one-year-old, this was a heady vision. It was cosmic, big, bold, dramatic. I could not stop talking about it...

...I recall thinking that I couldn't believe that this teaching had not gripped others the way it had me. I was convinced that recovering this biblical teaching would revolutionize the church and change the world. The good news had just gotten bigger for me."

I plan to start reading the book in the next couple weeks and will blog through a good part of it.

Stay tuned!

3 comments:

Becks said...

Waiting for those reading blogs, Dudey! :)

Dj said...

Jim Belcher!
Deep Missiology!
shalom!

Ryan Maguire said...

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm