Monday, April 14, 2008

Quote Monday


So I've decided that every Monday I'm going to put up a quote for the week.

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the Sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." -C.S. Lewis (The Weight of Glory)

Recently I've begun to read more and more from C.S. Lewis and each time I find him to be incredibly more profound. Few people have the ability that Lewis possesses in writing intellectual thoughts using creative/imaginative words to connect with the reader. He has become one of my favorite authors to read and has instilled some rather powerful and eye-opening perspectives upon me.
Anyways, back to the quote.
He ended a lecture title, "Is theoglogy poetry?" with this sentence and it greatly resignated with me.
In short form, I love the concept of, "But by it I see everything else." Here, Lewis presents us with this picture of us not only gazing directly into the sun (absolute truth...Christianity), but, furthermore, being illuminated by this truth to see everything else as it properly should be viewed! Once we put on our "Biblical goggles" things began to make sense, fall in place, and, well, more beautiful in my eyes. Without the truth concepts of Biblical theism one cannot understand our world properly, or even see our world!
I highly encourage everyone to read C.S. Lewis. There are some areas in which he is a little shady, but for the most part, the man has heavily influenced many and has produced some of the most profound Christian works I've ever read.

3 comments:

Mike Morabito said...

Very cool. Thanks for quoting.

Becks said...

What a great quote! And a great idea for Monday too!

Anonymous said...

Well said.