Thursday, July 24, 2008

It is Written

The other night I was reading "Spiritual Warfare in a Believers Life" by Charles Spurgeon and came across an excellent paragraph that struck me immediately. He says,

" Thoughtful minds anxiously desire some fixed point of belief. The old philosopher wanted a fulcrum for his lever and believed that if he could only obtain it he could move the world. The traveler at sea is delighted when he can plant his foot on solid ground again. We cannot rest till we have found something that is certain, sure settled, decided, no longer to be questioned. Many a mind has peered into the hazy region of rationalism and seen nothing but perpetual mist and fog, and shivering with the cold chill of those arctic regions of skepticism, it is yearned for a clearer light, a warmer guide, a more tangible belief. ...But we have a surer word of testimony, a rock of truth upon which we rest, for our infallible standard lies in, "it is written." The Bible, the whole Bible, and nothing but the Bible, is our standard."

What I love about this quote is that I agree with it theologically, intellectually, and in the "yearning of my heart." Everyone naturally desires "truth" and it is usually the case that one is not satisfied or relieved until one reaches that conviction. For me, I always want to pin point down objective truth or wish I had a manual that gave directions for life. But, this is exactly what the Scriptures are!

What a blessed comfort it is to know that in the Bible we have words that are "God-breathed" and that the "sum of God's word is truth and every one of His righteous rules endures forever." May we be thirsty and long for the precepts of God! How amazing it is that God is there and that He is not silent.

To Him be the glory!

No comments: